Re: Booting original iMac

Hello,

On Mar 11, 2010, at 3:39 PM, John D. Baker wrote:

So, I was finally able to build a NetBSD-4.0_STABLE for macppc and used
it to netboot my old original bondi-blue iMac (233MHz MPC750).  See
"dmesg.boot" at:

 http://bobdbob.com/~jdbaker/imac-nb4-dmesg.txt

The file contains boot messages of a GENERIC kernel, GENERIC with
"machfb" disabled via userconf, and a custom kernel built from:

 http://bobdbob.com/~jdbaker/BONDI-nb4.txt

The machfb attachment leaves the display garbaged, but booting completes and I can log in blind and at least reboot the machine. Disabling machfb
via userconf lets ofb attach and everything works well from a text
console.

Strange, I used to have access to a machine like that ( also with 6MB VRAM ) and machfb Just Worked. That was years ago though, around or before the 4.0 release. The description ( garbage in the upper region of the screen ) sounds like something tried to switch to 24bit mode which makes no sense at all. Also, machfb isn't supposed to mess with video modes at all - guess I'll have a look at the code again. On a hunch - if you have a MacOS CD handy - could you switch the iMac to 800x600 and see if that changes anything? Also, is the picture stable when machfb messes up? If machfb does try to switch video modes it will probably use one of the standard modes, most of which don't work on the iMac's built in display. On the other hand, if it does try to switch modes it should use the firmware- provided EDID data. Too bad I don't have that kind of machine around, machfb works fine on everything I have here :/

I haven't tried X yet. The custom kernel mostly just eliminates stuff I don't/can't have.

The Rage Pro is well supported, the mach64 driver should work fine. You will have to add some config option to tell X that the built-in display has a fixed line frequency of 60kHz - any mode that doesn't match 60kHz horizontal will not display properly or not at all.

Previously, in

 http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2009/12/13/msg000981.html
 http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2010/01/16/msg000998.html

I described problems booting -current on the iMac (hangs after message
about waiting for SCSI devices to settle). I built and tried 5.0_STABLE,
but it has the same problem as -current.

I then built a custom kernel for NetBSD-5.0_STABLE based on what I did
for 4.0 just in case the problem was with other added drivers.

 http://bobdbob.com/~jdbaker/BONDI-nb5.txt

But this does not help.

I seriously doubt it's the SCSI chip, that's just (one of) the last line(s) displayed. At that time the kernel will also probe for USB devices and a bunch of other things, any of which could cause the hang. You don't need any of the devices that attach to adb, only adb itself ( or alternatively, cuda ). The iMac doesn't have any actual ADB hardware, you still need the adb driver to access the real time clock and to reboot the machine. Yes, the driver's name is misleading, it does more than just provide access to ADB.
In 5.0 - does the kernel probe USB and IDE devices before hanging?
Also, does anything change if you get rid of adb and use cuda instead?
( cuda does what adb does, only with clean separation of the actual ADB support code, a bunch of bug fixes and support for an i2c bus which is needed only on beige G3s so far )

have fun
Michael