Re: Booting original iMac

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Michael wrote:

On Mar 11, 2010, at 3:39 PM, John D. Baker wrote:

The machfb attachment leaves the display garbaged, but booting completes

Strange, I used to have access to a machine like that ( also with 6MB
VRAM ) and machfb Just Worked. That was years ago though, around or
before the 4.0 release.  The description ( garbage in the upper region
of the screen ) sounds like something tried to switch to 24bit mode
which makes no sense at all. Also, machfb isn't supposed to mess with
video modes at all - guess I'll have a look at the code again.  On a

When machfb attaches, the bottom 3/4 of the screen is black.  The top
1/4 of the screen is fine alternating black/gray vertical stripes and
at the left side are jumbled mostly-white rectangular regions where
text would be drawn.  They scintillate such that you know it's still
working, but it's totally unreadable.  The image is otherwise stable.

hunch - if you have a MacOS CD handy - could you switch the iMac to
800x600 and see if that changes anything? Also, is the picture stable

The internal disk (wd0) has a full MacOS X 10.3.9 installation on it.
When running MacOS X, I usually have it running 1024x768@75Hz in 24-bit
"millions of" colors mode.

I switched it to 800x600@95Hz (still in 24-bit color) and then
booted an unmolested GENERIC kernel.  There was no change in behavior.

Back in OS X, I switched it to 16-bit ("thousands of") colors mode.  In
this state, machfb text console worked properly.  I switched back to
1024x768@75Hz mode with 16-bit ("thousands of") colors mode.  machfb
text console works fine.

when machfb messes up? If machfb does try to switch video modes it
will probably use one of the standard modes, most of which don't work
on the iMac's built in display. On the other hand, if it does try to
switch modes it should use the firmware-provided EDID data.  Too bad
I don't have that kind of machine around, machfb works fine on everything
I have here :/

I hope the above information helps.  What else should I check, test,
probe or otherwise observe?

Is there any way to access the soft geometry controls for the CRT?
Mine's a bit off center and the extra bright right edge is annoying.
MacOS seems to apply such preference settings early in boot--I take it
they are stored with the display preferences?

More 5.0_STABLE and -current tests to come...

Thanks.