Re: Booting original iMac

OK, not quite as straightforward as I thought.

On powerup, booting any NetBSD (4, 5, or -current) with machfb enabled
trashes the screen as described previously.  It will do this every time
until...

If I boot MacOS X, any resolution, as long as the color depth is set to
"thousands" (16-bit) (or less?  I haven't tried.) and then simply restart
(not shut down), subsequent booting of NetBSD with machfb enabled works
fine.

ofb or genfb work fine without such subterfugue.  genfb (5, -current)
clears the screen on attach as well, so I can't see any additional
previous kernel messages before the machine hangs.  I'll rebuild a
kernel with ofb instead of genfb (and disable machfb for the time
being) to try to get more visibility into the hangs.