Booting original G3 iMac?

So, I'm starting to get more serious about abandoning MacOS X in favor
of NetBSD/macppc (as PPC OSX versions fall off maintenance).

The other day I decided to give my original Bondi-Blue iMac a go with
-current (5.99.22 from 11 December 2009).  Once I dug a genuine Apple
USB keyboard out of my stash (so I could drop to OF) it loaded
ofwboot.xcf over the network, loaded GENERIC kernel over NFS and jumped
to it.

After kernel messages scrolled by for a bit, the screen went mostly
black (except for some garbage and vertical stripes in the top third).
and the machine seemed to do nothing more.  No network activity that
I could observe, no response to keyboard, etc.  Had I had a paperclip
handy, I'd have pushed the reset switch, but the front-panel power
switch was handy and worked.

I tried again and mostly the same thing happened, except the screen was
completely black.

I guess it has issues attaching the framebuffer.  This appears to be
an iMac Rev. B as it has the ATI RagePro video chip and 6MB SGRAM.
Not sure if these are well handled by genfb.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.