Port-mac68k archive

Re: NetBSD 8.0 on a Mac IIsi

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 at 17:52, Bjarne Bäckström <m9411%abc.se@localhost> wrote:

> Sorry about the late reply.

Its probably safe to say that this is not the right list for anyone
concerned about low latencies :-p

> You could probably color me biased… ;-) I have in fact not tested the ”standard NetBSD tools” since I ran out of SCSI HD:s smaller than 1 GB. But I’ve noticed that other people on this list still are having problems with them. It would be nice to be able to use cpin and cpout during the initial configuration phase, though.
>
> That aside, NetBSD 8 gave me fewer problems than any other version since 1.6.x. :-)

Well that sounds like some progress :)

> > There definitely seems to be a lack of actively developed lightweight
> > web browsers - netsurf looks like the closest match. (Of course you
> > can always use any old box as a X terminal and run Firefox/Chrome/etc
> > from a modern machine, but its just nice to be able to fire up
> > something native…
>

> Even my 1 GHz eMac and the 600 MHz iMac are useless for ”browsing” on the ’Net these days… They are mostly used to run old ”professional stuff" that would be too expensive ( because I’m retired since a decade+ ) to upgrade — if indeed there are any upgrades at all available. But they are too ”clumsy” to use as terminal servers, if you need several of them. The ”pizza box sized” Performa 450 and the likes are perfect to run ”headless”.
>
> Don’t know if the list allows pictures — the moderator may spit ’em out if he/she likes to do that. The pics below were taken when I ran a Performa 450 (running NetBSD 1.6.x with colour(!) X11) as a terminal server for an SWTPc S/09 box, which in turn ran UniFLEX OS on a 2 MHz 6809 processor. I had it connected to the ’Net via an ole fashion phone modem, so that trusted people could run UniFLEX from the other side of ”the puddle”. Those were the days…

Nice -  I particularly like the macOS like x11 wm in that shot :)

Its somehow amazing to think that in 2019 we can run the same actively
developed OS on a 68k mac and a 64 bit amd64 box with a TB of RAM and
many dozens of cores, though obviously the set of useful tasks is
somewhat different...

I always quite liked it when someone got a colour twitter feed client
running on a luna68k -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igLujPyK0M&t=30s :)

David