Port-hppa archive

Re: xemacs build failure (missing symbol hpplay)

On 25 January 2017 at 19:15, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David Brownlee wrote:
>>

>> pkgsrc updated and tiny patch fed back upstream.
>
> I did cvs update and did not get any :(

It may have taken a little while to sync through to anoncvs. Also
Hauke (the xemacs pkgsrc maintainer) has tweaked the package so the
File Open dialog should work via shortcuts on the base xemacs (though
xemacs-packages is still needed for all the extra UI bits :)

>> Just tested a quick build on amd64 and saw the same issue. I then
>> built and installed xemacs-packages and the problem went away.
>>
>> A minor downside is that xemacs-packages is about five times the size
>> of the base xemacs.
>>
>> So we need a much clearer MESSAGE in xemacs, and possibly the minimal
>> set of additional files to enable File>Open etc should be made part of
>> the base xemacs package.
>>
>> Does building xemacs-packages fix it for you?
>
> Yes, it does work when building those! It did need somet ime on the ol'
> machien just to fetch and build them :)
>
> I still get the memory warning, even with unlimit, however loadig files
> works. I will test it further now

Excellent stuff. xemacs is a good match to the resources of the
average HPPA box, so it really should be working :)

David