Port-hppa archive

Re: xemacs build failure (missing symbol hpplay)

On 21 January 2017 at 14:56, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2017 1:18 p.m., "Riccardo Mottola" <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost>
> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> On 18/01/2017 13:26, David Brownlee wrote:
>>
>> Could you try http://sync.absd.org/xemacs.tgz
>>
>> Extract it in place of pkgsrc/editors/xemacs and see if it builds:)
>
> thanks for the work.. it builds and installs!
> It also starts up and edits a file :) not bad! Worth a commit then and maybe
> even an upstream integration.
>
> Excellent, I'll get it checked in :)

pkgsrc updated and tiny patch fed back upstream.

> The only nasty thing that remains is that the "open dialog" does not appears
> and instead a warning that a too high memory percentage is used appears. I
> wonder if this is a bogus way of memory calculation? The 715 has 80MB of RAM
> + quite some swap, I suppose it should be enough to "open" a file.
>
> Mmmm,  could you try running unlimit before starting xemacs? As another test
> case does the problem show up if you run it with display set to a remote
> machine? Or vica versa.

Just tested a quick build on amd64 and saw the same issue. I then
built and installed xemacs-packages and the problem went away.

A minor downside is that xemacs-packages is about five times the size
of the base xemacs.

So we need a much clearer MESSAGE in xemacs, and possibly the minimal
set of additional files to enable File>Open etc should be made part of
the base xemacs package.

Does building xemacs-packages fix it for you?