Re: PR #40571 - NetBSD Atari install fails to prepare 16GB MTRON SSD on ACARD SCSI to IDE bridge

 Are you able to complete exactly the same procedure (zero
 out and then install without AHDI) on a normal SCSI disk?
Well... It's been a long time since I zero'd my Seagate. Other than that, yes. If the detail in this mail doesn't help, I'll try zero'ing the Seagate first and then doing an install. At minimum I've done this with NetBSD 1.6.1 and it worked, but I can't say that's the case for 5 yet.

I re-zero'd the MTRON/ACARD combo (in my Adaptec SCSI controller BIOS, same as before). Then I booted up NetBSD 5 (200902030000Z). Here's the relevant portion of the dmesg:
http://i44.tinypic.com/ac5yl3.jpg

Here's the sd0 (Seagate) disklabel.  (This drive had not been zero'd)
http://i39.tinypic.com/2uo57kl.jpg

Here's the first part of the MTRON/ACARD disklabel:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2lc4sgw.jpg
..and the second part (I did a ctrl-c because there's no 'more' on sysinst):
http://i39.tinypic.com/9r0en9.jpg

So even though I zero'd the drive, the disklabel is wacky. When I did the zero'ing operation it completed super fast (a few seconds). My assumption was because the device is a solid state drive. But I can imagine it's possible that the ACARD's implementation of the SCSI zero'ing command is "cheating" and not fully overwriting the disk with zeros.

David Ross
dross%pobox.com@localhost

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Brownlee" <abs%NetBSD.org@localhost>