Re: netbsd-10, merging device-streams (xstreamtodev, rdbinfo)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 at 09:58, Roc Vallès <vallesroc%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I updated the README and version strings, rebuilt with current
> bebbo/amiga-gcc (both gcc and vbcc) and made a new release.
>
> https://github.com/rvalles/device-streams/releases
>
> I also downloaded your test build's binaries and ran them just to
> ensure they're the new (now old...) versions; They are.

Wonderful - thanks

> The new release's binaries have been run and tested by writing into my
> swap partition above 4GB.
>
> Please update with the new gcc-built binaries and README.md, and we're
> good for actually pulling into netbsd.
>
> Thanks

I have another question :)

xstreamtodev and xdevtostream are just streamtodev and devtostream
with EXPERT_VERSION.

Given that the expert versions appear to be entirely a superset (so
the behave identically for all basic supported options other than the
usage string), is there any need to build and or include the basic
versions? The binaries are a few 100s of bytes larger, so its not
likely to be useful on the basis of memory or file size.

My natural inclination would be just to default to EXPERT_VERSION on
always (or even unifdef it), and have a single set of binaries. (I
would also probably just want to call them streamtodev and
devtostream, but I suspect we have enough years of habit using the "x"
prefix that its best to keep it).

David