Port-alpha archive

Re: Netbooting a machine w/ a disk

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Nicolas Joly <njoly%pasteur.fr@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 02:42:49PM -0600, Dustin Marquess wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 3:22 AM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Only weird thing that I've noticed is that once I'm in NetBSD, if I
>> reboot/halt back to SRM and try to boot again, BOOTP just sits there
>> and times out, almost like network connectivity isn't working.  But if
>> I 'init', it works again.  Very strange..
>
> Looks like a problem i already encountered (PR/40077) ... I cannot
> reboot/halt because pmf_system_shutdown() has disabled the PCI bus
> that hold the disks.
>
> Can you try commenting `pmf_system_shutdown()' call in cpu_reboot()
> from sys/arch/alpha/alpha/machdep.c and check if that make it work
> better.

Okay, in 5.0RC2, machdep.c:cpu_reboot() calls
kern_subr.c:doshutdownhooks(), which is what calls
pmf_system_shutdown().  Commenting-out pmf_system_shutdown() in
doshutdownhooks() does indeed appear to fix the reboot issue.  I'm not
sure if there are any side effects in doing this vs letting SRM fully
reinitialize everything, but everything at least appears to work
correctly.  It isn't a huge deal for me as I keep serial consoles on
all of my alpha boxen, but I'm sure others would greatly appreciate it
:).

Thanks!
-Dustin