Re: How to deal with packages having the same files

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 9:20 AM Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed 15 Jan 2020 at 00:12:04 +0000, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> > Well, there is a difference - py27-qt5 and py37-qt5 are the same
> > package built with different PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT; you wouldn't have
> > them both at the same time generally;
>
> Yes, you would. 2.7 is used by misc/calibre. 3.7 is used by
> emulators/fs-uae-launcher. So as a result I can't install those two at
> the same time now.

The developer typically does the following in this case:

1. Rename the binary (in post-install or something) to
pylupdate5-${PYVERSION} and install it as such.
2. Add an ALTERNATIVES file to link the executable to pylupdate5.
3. (and this may be the hardest part) If dependent packages run the
tool, have them run pylupdate5-${PYVERSION} instead.