Re: Configure error in lang/spidermonkey17

On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 09:21:24AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 04:12:16PM +1300, Mark Davies wrote:
> > Archlinux uses polkit-0.113+34+g29ba7af-1 and js (spidermonkey) 24.2 so
> > presumably we could update pkgsrc to match.
>
> Uhmm, this is a really bad joke -
> we need something like 52 if it ever gets released, or at least 45 to
> have a chance to reasonably support all architectures.
>
> And still not sure I like the whole idea of using JavaScript for polkit
> at all ;-)

On mips with spidermonkey17, I had:

- Adapted to make it generate code binutils recognises as PIC for n32.
  Fortunately it was already PIC, but not using the special constructs
  for it.
- Adapted it to generate different asm code (nop->ssnop), hoping it will
  fix problems I heard.
- Tried to use a newer ABI with it. in the past, everyone used mips o32
  ABI, and I am using n32, which is binary-incompatible and not a simple
  adaptation. Turns out this path was a wrong choice.
- Failed to run anything, because it would instantly assert on me not
  having a 4KB page size like most linux/mips.
  It assumed all architectures have a 4KB page size except SPARC which
  has 8KB IIRC.
  Most netbsd/mips is 8KB, and everyone on lemote yeeloong prefers 16KB,
  including linux users.
  It was expecting a compile-time fixed PAGE_SIZE, and used it as the
  size of some structs. so I'd have to adapt it to a non-constant one,
  or expect my packages not to run on anyone else's machine.
- Fixed netbsd's o32 ABI compat support purely to try and run javascript.

JavaScript is a bad choice for portability.