Re: Target to install OR replace?

Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> The trouble is, on an old laptop with some 2400 compiled and installed
> packages over the years, pkg_rolling-replace can take weeks... and end up
> with several tens or hundreds of packages, which need to be done manually
> anyway.

Sure, I can see that.  There will be failures needing manual attention
when files move between packages.

> In these circumstances I often break the normal and otherwise right
> pkgsrc rules and use 'make replace', after making sure that at least the
> shared libraries which are to be used by the replaced package are
> available. Of course this breaks things from time to time, but not always;
> if I find myself in tight spot, I usually can downgrade a few packages and
> carry on for a while, or schedule a massive rebuild of the pkgsrc packages
> in use.

This is basically doing a bunch of "make replace" instead of forcing a
complete pass through in sorted order.  I agree that you can often get
away with this.  If you get into trouble, you can then just start
pkg_rr, which will use the "unsafe_depends" tags and rebuild packages as
needed.

I find that with about 800 packages, I can do a pkg_rr (from one stable
branch to the next) in a day or so, even on a 2008 mac laptop.  I also
use ccache, so that rebuilding a package that hasn't changed much, when
the dependency .h files haven't changed that much, is greatly sped up.

Good luck finding new hardware..