Re: Target to install OR replace?

Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 4:24 PM, Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Please try:
>> make update
>
> Wow, that's terrible.
>
> I have not quite understood what "make update" does (the absence of
> documentation does not help either) but it seems to just delete
> dependent packages of the one you are updating. In my case, it managed
> to delete all of XFCE and Firefox while I was using it.

Indeed.  What it tries to do is to replace the current package, but also
rebuild everything that depends on it.  IMHO this operation is way too
dangerous, and I would be inclined for us to remove it.  I never
recommend to anyone that they use it.

An alternative is pkg_rolling-replace, which is more gentle, but
sometimes needs help.

I think it would be good to have a replace-or-install target.  One place
where that would help is that if DEPENDS_TARGET is set to that, and you
build something, and you need a newer version of something that's
installed, you'd get it replaced instead of failing.  Of course, this is
only really safe if you later clean up with pkg_rolling-replace, and
would have been avoided if you did that first, but still.