Re: wip push- rebase first

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 12:31:53PM +0200, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> Is it really unreasonable to expect developers with commit privileges
> to familiarize themselves with the tool on their own? If someone tells
> you to "please remember to rebase before pushing to master"[1] I would
> expect a developer who is unfamiliar with the terminology to be more
> than capable of looking it up without resorting to copy-paste command
> line examples. When things go wrong with your merges (and trust me, they
> will) you need to know your way around git anyway. In more depth than
> we can or should document.

Familarity with git doesn't mean that rebasing is part of the
recommented work flow. As I mentioned on Sunday during the post-conference
dinner, there are lot of different git work flows with some strong
differences. Saying "google for it" or anything like that certainly
doesn't tell anyone which one is used for pkgsrc-wip.

Joerg