Re: wip push- rebase first

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 11:56:50 +0200
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 07:39:47PM +0200, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> > I don't think it is the job of pkgsrc.org to be a git tutorial site,
>
> No, it is not.
>
> But if you watched this thread from the start you have seen (slightly
> paraphrased by me):
>
>  <$OP> $innocent_question
>  <dh> $my_standard_git_rant
>  <wiz> no, it is not about that, but the workflow we have chosen to use
>        for pkgsrc-wip
>  <hauke> can we document the workflow, please?
>  <tnn> no!
>

> IMHO there should be a step by step guide on all relevant git command
> line invocations needed to use pkgsrc-wip. That is very much != a "git
> tutorial site", but a jumpstart for convenience of our users.

My apologies to Hauke for the harsh wording which didn't come out
right. Anyway. Instuctions for users and instructions for developers are
two separate matters. There are adequate instructions for users,
including command line examples for checking out and updating (with -r!)

Is it really unreasonable to expect developers with commit privileges
to familiarize themselves with the tool on their own? If someone tells
you to "please remember to rebase before pushing to master"[1] I would
expect a developer who is unfamiliar with the terminology to be more
than capable of looking it up without resorting to copy-paste command
line examples. When things go wrong with your merges (and trust me, they
will) you need to know your way around git anyway. In more depth than
we can or should document.

-Tobias