Re: How to perform a conservative package upgrade with pkgsrc?

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On 11 July 2014 12:19, Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:
>> On Fri 11 Jul 2014 at 09:05:32 +0200, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>>> Sorry gentlemen, but why does it always have boil down to bulk builds
>>> and chroot?
>>
>> Because you want to separate the building activity from the installing
>> activity.
>
> And what is wrong with that? Isn't that what Linux distributions do?
> And don't tell me they do a wrong job.

I have not heard of a Linux system providing precompiled binaries for
tens of CPUs and dozens of os/version combinations and keeping them
updated within a week of the package control files being updated.  I
hear about people using "personal package archives" to get things that
are recent because the distributions are behind.

>> If something goes wrong while building, you don't want to be
>> stuck with a broken system.
>
> Agreed, but what's the correlation with the previous sentence? This is
> why I want to build first and install later. With the current system,
> if I 'make update' I will build _and_ install the dependencies, and
> then if something goes wrong later, I surely end up with a broken
> system.
>
> If there a part of this mechanism that I have missed, please point it out.

The basic issue is that to build a package you have to have the
dependency installed.  The point of building in a chroot is to have that
dependency not affect the running system.  So some sort of alternate
reality is fundamentally necessary, and it's just a question of the
details.

pkgin is great, but it relies on having binaries built.   And if one
were to spiff it up to allow building from source, that would
essentially be generating a list of wanted but missing packages -- and
then buliding them in a chroot!

Have you actually tried pkg_comp?  Perhaps you can send diffs to the
docs, or publish scripts to make things easier.  While some people can
commit directly and others can't (perhaps "can't yet"), there is not
such a great user/developer divide as you make it out to be.