Re: How to perform a conservative package upgrade with pkgsrc?

On 11 July 2014 12:19, Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri 11 Jul 2014 at 09:05:32 +0200, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>> Sorry gentlemen, but why does it always have boil down to bulk builds
>> and chroot?
>
> Because you want to separate the building activity from the installing
> activity.

And what is wrong with that? Isn't that what Linux distributions do?
And don't tell me they do a wrong job.

> If something goes wrong while building, you don't want to be
> stuck with a broken system.

Agreed, but what's the correlation with the previous sentence? This is
why I want to build first and install later. With the current system,
if I 'make update' I will build _and_ install the dependencies, and
then if something goes wrong later, I surely end up with a broken
system.

If there a part of this mechanism that I have missed, please point it out.

--
Ottavio