Re: [HEADS UP] packages not supporting destdir

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 08:38:17PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Sun, 1 Apr 2012 13:24:32 +0200
>     From:        Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost>
>
> These two
>
>   | cvsup-16.1.hnb2
>   | cvsup-gui-16.1.hnb3
>
> require this one
>
>   | ezm3-1.2nb2
>
> (which itself is useful for nothing other than building cvsup as I
> understand it), and so there's no point working on them if ezm3 isn't
> fixed first (if ezm3 were removed, cvsup would be unbuildable anyway.)
>
> The ezm3 Makefile (do-build target) says ...
>
>  @${ECHO}
> "===================================================================";
>  @${ECHO} "As per the website, it is NOT possible to separate the build
> process"
>  @${ECHO} "from the installation process."
>  @${ECHO} "'${MAKE} install' will build AND install the package."
>  @${ECHO}
> "===================================================================";

If I remember correctly it is possible to build it as a non root
user, but the last time I looked at it was years ago and it wasn't
clear which modification had to be done to do this with pkgsrc.

> (to be honest, I deleted a few ='s in the first and last of those lines
> to keep the line lengths of this e-mail shorter).
>
> The website mentioned says ...
>
>     Type "gmake". This will build and install Modula-3. It is not possible
>     to separate the build from the installation, and the installed files
>     will not work if you move them to a different location.
[..]

As I said above it is possible, but not with pkgsrc. I build it as a non
root user in the past, without the pkgsrc infrastructure.
It looks like that was 9 or 10 years ago and it seems I do not have
any notes left from that build back then.

Bernd