Re: [HEADS UP] Removing python24 and python25

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 10:12:02AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> writes:
 > > My suggestion: [...]

I like that.

 > That sounds entirely reasonable, as long as people can choose to avoid
 > the python package with its attendant variable-binding problems, if they
 > favor reliability over convenience.

Erm... what problems are you thinking of? There's a package like this
for ruby and it causes no trouble that I know of. (*)

It is important that having it installed doesn't screw up the
check_interpreter pass, though.

(*) other than occasionally exposing defects in multiversion package
handling, but that will happen anyway regardless.

 > A nit is that sometimes we have 1 version, and then 2, and then back to
 > 1, and I don't want us renaming back and forth.  So once we go to two,
 > if we move to one we should stay with versioned names for perhaps 3
 > years before renaming.

Yeah.

Or, if we end up with one version because the last older version gets
removed, we don't rename the remaining version that already exists
(because with cvs that's a nuisance) and instead when the next major
version comes out whether it should be imported with or without a
version number.

(three years may not be long enough; e.g. perl)

 > Overall, this would be a policy shift from how emacs is named, but I
 > wouldn't mind it happening.

Making "emacs" a meta-package pointing at EMACS_VERSION_DEFAULT (or
EMACS_TYPE?) would probably be a step forward.

There's a question though of whether the emacs-snapshot package, and
other similar -head packages, should stay the way they are or get
version numbers.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost