Re: [HEADS UP] Removing python24 and python25

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 08:43:54AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I think it makes sense to drop python 2.4 right now.  It seems the only
> reason anyone deals with it is that there is a culture of running
> particular ancient versions of Linux and only using the builtin python
> support (I find this totally boggling, but it's what I observe).

I'm hesitant about this because the plone and zope packages seem to need this
version.

> 2.5 does not feel so ancient and crufty that it should be summarily
> dismissed.

On the other hand, in pkgsrc there is five packages that claim to work
with 25 and not with 26 or newer. That's not a critical mass :)

> Some of these are probably candidates for removal on their own merits --
> if they pass one of the tests "it's reasonable to tell users that they
> are lame for not having upgraded" or "it is unmaintained for so long
> (multiple years) that no reasonable person should still be using it".
> I suspect databases/gramps is an example of the first, and maybe gramps2
> (but maybe not).

We have gramps3 in pkgsrc, so I don't have problems with removing these two.
 Thomas