Re: [HEADS UP] Removing python24 and python25

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> Something like this?
>
> <<If you need [want?] to keep several package versions in pkgsrc then
> "category/pkgname" (without suffixes) should point to latest stable
> version of software other versions being alternative (older versions
> or development versions). In the latter case package name should [may?]
> get version suffix.>>

My suggestion:  You either have one package for one version of
the software, or you have N+1 packages for N versions of the
software.

1. If there is only one version of some software in pkgsrc, the
   the pkgsrc directory name and package name should be the
   base name of the software, without an embedded version number.

2. If there is more than one version of some software in
   pkgsrc, then:

2.1.  The pkgsrc directory name and package name for each
      version should contain an embedded version number
      (e.g. "python26" and "python27").

2.2.  At the discretion of the maintainer, the multiple
      versions may conflict with each other, or may be able to
      coexist.

2.3.  There should also be an additional package without an
      embedded version number (e.g. "python"), which depends
      on the latest stable or recommended version of the
      software.  At the discretion of the maintainer, there
      may also be a variable to adjust which version appears
      in the dependency.  For example, "python" could depend
      on "python26" or "python27" according to the value of
      PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT.

2.4.  If appropriate, the package without an embedded
      version number should provide wrappers or symlinks
      to make it easy for users to run the software.  Such
      wrappers or symlinks are likely to be appropriate when
      multiple versions can coexist, and are not likely to be
      appropriate when multiple versions conflict with each
      other.  For example, the "python" package could provide a
      symlink for PREFIX/bin/python to the version selected by
      PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT.

--apb (Alan Barrett)