Re: [HEADS UP] Removing python24 and python25

On 12-03-02 10:45 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
Well, maybe I'm off.  But in that case, let's drop everything but 2.7
and call it plain python, no suffix on the package, and no suffix on the
installed files, and and remove all support for older versions, so that
we'd treat it like perl5.  Would that be ok?  (That's a serious
question; my impression is that it would not be ok.)

No, we need 2.7 and 3.x because 3.x is not quite ready for prime
time yet.  As for 2.[4567], as far as I can tell you are correct
except for Zope which requires a feature only available in 2.4
which is EOL'd so maybe we should drop Zope as well.  My impression
is that Zope people build it manually anyway.

Or, we can change PYTHON_VERSION_REQUIRED to mean '>= X' instead of
having to list them all, so that by default when a new 2.x is added it
gets used.

That probably mostly works except for packages that rely on deprecated
features like Zope.  I am not sure how many that is but I would be
willing to look into any specific packages if you want.  My experience
is that when I come across packages that don't support 2.7 (my current
default) I can often get it working just by adding 27 to the list.

Oh yah, py-gd failed but that whole package was deprecated anyway.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost