Re: Pkgsrc on Mac OS X

> Uploading packages would require me to become a NetBSD developer and, I
> assume, meet some other criteria. Is that correct?
Yes.

> What is the process to become a "official" developer?
:-)

> Does one need to be a developer to post to pkgsrc-bulk?
I think no, I post results of my bulk builds to this maillist
for more than two years.

> Technical question:

> The pkgsrc guide refers to /usr/pkg being removed as part of the bulk
> build. Since 'bmake' lives there, does the bulk script re-bootstrap on
> every build?
This depends on what tool you mean. mk/bulk or pbulk?

> Practical question:

> What platform(s) does it make sense to target.
The platform you need ;-)
Only bulk builds for NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, Linux and Solaris are made on
regular basis. So, Darwin will definitely be interesting for those
who are interested to port their packages to Darwin.

> Also, based on the error I see when building Xfixes, it seems like I
> really want X11_TYPE=modular to get the newer libraries.
You may freely use X clients compiled with modular Xorg from pkgsrc
and use your native X server. With native X libraries you have a big
chance to get *lots of* bugs. I don't know about MacOS-X but on Linux
I stick to X11_TYPE=modular without any problem.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.