Re: Pkgsrc on Mac OS X

* On 2010-09-21 at 03:31 BST, John Ruschmeyer wrote:

> Lately, I've been seriously trying to build a few packages using pkgsrc
> under both Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and 10.4.11 (Tiger) on a PowerPC. It
> seems like pkgsrc is not a big option for Mac users, though, as it is never
> mentioned in the same breath as Fink or Macports.

That's just because we are appalling at advocacy.  Although regular binary
packages wouldn't hurt...

> 1) Is there anyone else on the list who is using pkgsrc under Mac OS X? If
> so, what version?

Yes, I've been using pkgsrc on OSX for a few years.  I keep meaning to do
some bulk builds using a chroot but it's one of those round tuits which
keeps evading me.

> I have to confess that based on my last few days experiences with building
> various packages that I'm wondering if it would be of any use to the
> community to fire up my spare G4 and volunteer to do batch builds.

Yes please :-)  At the very least it's useful to see which packages are
broken so that people can fix them.

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/