NetBSD-Users archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
Re: dual boot installation with UEFI
Sep 26, 2026, 17:26 by rvp%SDF.ORG@localhost:
> On Sat, 26 Sep 2026, Jeff wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2026 20:32:39 +0200 (CEST)
>> From: Jeff <pacavegano%tutamail.com@localhost>
>> To: Netbsd Users <netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost>
>> Subject: Re: dual boot installation with UEFI
>>
>> Okay, I just tried again, and failed the same way. I will try to include as much detail about what I did as possible, so that hopefully you all can point out my mistakes!
>>
>
> sysinst(8) isn't really setup for this use-case (ie. multi-boot), but, there
> are workarounds.
>
> The first thing you should do is to make a backup of `EFI/boot' because sysinst
> *will* unconditionally overwrite any existing BOOT*.EFI files with NetBSD's
> own bootloaders:
>
> mv /some/path/EFI/Boot /some/path/EFI/Boot.bak
>
>
>> 6) Select "a: Use existing GPT partitions".
>>
>
> Correct. (And, if a new install, just create a `/' and a swap partitions there)
>
>> 7) This was how the GPT partitions were shown before I changed anything:
>> Start (MB) End (MB) Size (MB) FS type Flag Filesystem
>> a: 1 1024 1024 MSDOS NO NAME
>>
>
> Select this entry (press ENTER), then get rid of that `NO NAME' label (make the
> field blank). Then, change the mount point to `-' (do not mount).
>
Okay, all I did differently this time was that I changed NO NAME to '-' (doing that, in and of itself, switched it to do not mount). I still got a message "/dev/dk5: Invalid signature in fsinfo block", but after hitting enter on that screen the install proceeded normally, after which the system rebooted into Gentoo normally. I'll work on getting NetBSD booting later, but at least the install seems to have worked. Thanks!
Jeff
Home |
Main Index |
Thread Index |
Old Index