NetBSD-Users archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: dual boot installation with UEFI



Okay, I just tried again, and failed the same way.  I will try to include as much detail about what I did as possible, so that hopefully you all can point out my mistakes!

1) Boot from USB image (of NetBSD 11).

2) Select "Install NetBSD".

3) Select "a: Install NetBSD to hard disk".

4) Select "Yes" to confirm I want to install.

5) Select "a: ld0 (954G, KXG60ZNV1T02 KIOXIA)".
(My other available options were: "b: sd0 (58G, USB DISK 3.0)", "c: Preconfigured 'wedges' dk(4)", "d: Extended partioning (software RAID, etc...)")

6) Select "a: Use existing GPT partitions".

7) This was how the GPT partitions were shown before I changed anything:
     Start (MB)     End (MB)    Size (MB)  FS type Flag Filesystem
   __________ __________ __________ ______  ___  _______________
a:                   1           1024               1024 MSDOS         NO NAME
b:            1025         17408            16384 FFSv2
c:          17409      375808         358400 unused
d:       375809      427008            51200 Linux Ext2
e:       427009       631808        204800 Linux Ext2

I added two partitions:
f:         631810       648191           16382 swap
g:       648193        976761       328569 FFSv2 IN /

When adding g, I said "Yes" for install, newfs and mount, and added the mount point /.

8) Select "x: Partition sizes ok"

9) See the following:
Status: Finished
Command: /sbin/fsck_msdos -p -q /dev/dk1
Hit enter to continue
_________________________________________________________________
/dev/dk1: Invalid signature in fsinfo block
/dev/dk1: 4 files, 1046340 free (261585 clusters)

10) Hit enter.

11) See the following:
Status: Command failed
Command: /sbin/mount -tmdos /dev/dk1 /targetrootNO Name
Hit enter to continue
_________________________________________________________________
Usage: mount [-Aadfruvw] [-t type]
             mount [-dfruvw] special | node
             mount [-dfruvw] [-o options] [-t type] special node

12) Hit enter.

13) See the following:
mount of device /dev/dk1 on No Name failed.
Hit enter to continue

14) Hit enter.

15) Get returned to the starting menu, and reboot the computer.

16) Upon booting back into Gentoo and running fdisk -l, I see the following:

Device                                Start                 End           Sectors      Size   Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1                2048        2099199        2097152          1G   EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2         2099200      35653631     33554432        16G   Linux swap
/dev/nvme0n1p3      35653632    769656831  734003200      350G   Linux root (x86-64)
/dev/nvme0n1p4    769656832     874514431   104857600         50G  Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p5     874514432  1293944831  419430400       200G  Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p6  1293946880   1327497215    33550336          16G  swap
/dev/nvme0n1p7  1327499264  2000409230  672909967    320.9G  FFS

Help? :-)
 
Jeff
-- 
 Secured with Tuta Mail: 
 https://tuta.com/free-email


Sep 25, 2026, 18:07 by :

> Hi, folks,
>
> I wish to install NetBSD into the unused space (or I can pre-format it, if that would help) on a drive which already has a UEFI partition and a partition on which Gentoo is installed, and I want to keep Gentoo intact. I cannot find any instructions or tutorials regarding installing on a disk that has another OS on it, and all of my attempts have failed when I get to the point of accepting the disk layout. It quickly fails with a complaint about not being able to access /dev/dk* (and I'm trying to install on nvme).
>
> Is there a tutorial or FAQ somewhere that I'm not finding, or does anyone have any tips for how I might proceed?
>
> Thanks much!
> Jeff
> -- 
>  Secured with Tuta Mail: 
>  https://tuta.com/free-email
>



Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index