NetBSD-Users archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
Re: dual boot installation with UEFI
On Fri Sep 25, 2026 at 7:06 PM MDT, Jeff wrote:
Hi, folks,
I wish to install NetBSD into the unused space (or I can pre-format
it, if that would help) on a drive which already has a UEFI partition
and a partition on which Gentoo is installed, and I want to keep Gentoo
intact. I cannot find any instructions or tutorials regarding installing
on a disk that has another OS on it...
I did this. I created 2 new GPT partitions, swap and /, which were
respectively 4GB and however much space was left after that, and they
worked fine with the installer. If I recall correctly, the installer
will install NetBSD into the ESP at ESP:/NetBSD/, but I installed rEFInd
to triple boot with the existing Windows 10 and Linux Mint partitions. I
did have trouble with booting NetBSD because my boot.cfg (which should
be at ESP:/NetBSD/) was improperly formatted, and I described my
configuration at the time here:
<https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2026/08/02/msg034580.html>
and figured it out here:
<https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2026/08/06/msg034603.html>
....and all of my attempts have failed when I get to the point of
accepting the disk layout. It quickly fails with a complaint about not
being able to access /dev/dk* (and I'm trying to install on nvme).
I didn't encounter this problem. It makes sense that dk(4) would be
having those issues because the system uses (or at least did for me,
using a SATA hard drive) /dev/dk* nodes for GPT partitions. In the
previous hyperlinked e-mail thread RVP does a great job of briefly
explaining how this works.
Someone else might be able to intuit what you are missing from this
information alone but I wonder if you could provide a more detailed
recollection of the dk(4) complaint.
Is there a tutorial or FAQ somewhere that I'm not finding, or does
anyone have any tips for how I might proceed?
<https://bentsukun.ch/posts/netbsd-wedge-boot/> was a great resource for
me for understanding NetBSD and UEFI, but going so far as in-kernel boot
configuration was unnecessary in my case.
Sorry I can't help with your problem. I hope this helps once you make it
past this initial hurdle. Happy hacking.
<3 :3 -3
Home |
Main Index |
Thread Index |
Old Index