Re: properly way of setting premissions for devices in /dev/

    Date:        Wed, 3 Jul 2024 12:39:42 +0200
    From:        Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost>

  | Yes, months ago when I started playing with NetBSD I configured a
  | HISTSIZE variable, and after that I set HISTFILE var but as it did not
  | work  I read the man page and did not see anything about the history
  | file, so I started thinking that the feature was certainly missing.

That's certainly right, it is currently.

I'm not sure if anyone really wants it or not, but in the past couple of
days, I have turned some of my earlier imagining into code - what I have
now seems to be working OK, though I haven't done much in the way of testing
yet.

There would be two new variables, HISTFILE which (kind of like what happens
to ENV) gets expanded (if required) to make a file name, when set, and if the
file named exists, and is a shell history file, gets read and its contents
appended to whatever history exists in the current shell (each time it is
set that would happen).  If it is set when the shell exits, the history
buffer will be written to it.

And HISTAPPEND which can be set to a string which represents a boolean
value (true/false yes/no on/off 1/0) - if set to a value indicating true,
then as each command is completed it will be written to the HISTFILE
(and if still set to a true value, then the shell won't write to
the file at exit, as everything should already be there).   The intent
(which I haven't tested yet) would be that in this case the same file
could be shared by multiple shells, and collect history from all.

If this is likely to be of some general interest, I could do some more
testing to make sure it works properly, and commit it (for HEAD, and
eventually NetBSD 11 - this isn't something I'd pull up to -10).

kre