Re: strange issues with building ArcticFox - full rebuilds everytime

Hi,

thanks for looking.

RVP wrote:

OK. I have the cause and a workaround. You can do a proper fix based on it:

It's the NetBSD shell, /bin/sh (and also /bin/ksh). On NetBSD's /bin/sh:

        LINENO RANDOM SECONDS START_TIME ToD

change every time you do a `set' and so these will be different for every
run of `mach build'. This is enough to cause a full rebuild. NetBSD's
/bin/ksh has RANDOM and SECONDS.

Where is this code? mach? make? configure?
Can it be fixed?

Setting SHELL=/usr/pkg/bin/dash and CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/pkg/bin/dash doesn't
seem to help at all, so the workaround is this:

pkgin -y in dash
cp /usr/pkg/bin/dash ~/bin/sh
env PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH ./mach build

That causes dash(1) to be used always and everything seems to work without
a full rebuild.

Hmm... a dirty workaround, to copy in your own directory. I would not mind installing an extra shell and using it, but "the pkg way".

I wonder if Firefox 52 and/or current have this issue? Maybe there is a patch I can import into ArcticFox. Most probably inside pkg build it is not usually seen, since it is a one time compilation, it affects more developers and tinkerers.

Riccardo