Re: Does any common mortals here (not programmers or sysads) use NetBSD as their daily productivity driver?

Hi There,

My daily driver with NetBSD 9.3 is a Lenovo Thinkpad t430s (2013)

Works:
- wifi
- i915 display
- mini dispay port output
- Hungarian keyboard
- audio
- webcam
- USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports
- card reader

Works partially:
- touchpad (no two finger gestures)

Does not work:
- display backlight. Workaround: set the brightness when starting up the laptop (BIOS handles).

Generally a very good choice for a portable NetBSD workstation. The screen resolution and screen quality is a bit low end, though. Owerall performance is quite impressive, I suggest to install 16GB of RAM and SSD. Firefox startup time after coldstart is about 2-3 seconds. I use that to develop C++ applications using NetBeans IDE. The build time is acceptable as I can use 4 cores. Another good point on Lenovo is the silent fan even under heavy workload. As the housing has a DVD-ROM bay, you can install an additional HDD bay instead of that. Huge advantage!

I hope I could help.

Cheers,
 FeZ