Re: Does any common mortals here (not programmers or sysads) use NetBSD as their daily productivity driver?

On 9/27/22 5:44 AM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
If so, what can you not do on NetBSD that you can do on any other OS?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss DRM. What else do I have to put up with?

I run NetBSD 9.3 on a Mac Mini 2014 using modesetting for the video in xorg.conf since the intel causes a little tearing while using Firefox or Thunderbird. I also have NetBSD 9.3 installed on my Lenovo x200 (yup, 2009 model) Everything work on that old laptop, including the WiFi chip. My main "driver" is a Fedora box. I use that for Azure stuff, it has power shell and integrates well with the latest Jetbrains products. However I find myself doing most of my development (Python, DJango, Postgresql and MySQL) on my NetBSD box. I am also trying (futilely is seems) to learn Rust and that's done no the mini as well.

What works well for me:

What doesn't work for me due mostly due to ignorance, laziness, and maybe lack of support

I've used XFCE, Mate, Openbox, fluxbox and ctwm but I've settled on fvwm3.

Hope this helps.

--
"There seems to be a scratch in the prism of my understanding."