Re: Does any common mortals here (not programmers or sysads) use NetBSD as their daily productivity driver?

On Fri, 30 Sept 2022 at 17:57, Fekete Zoltán <fekete.zoltan%minux.hu@localhost> wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> My daily driver with NetBSD 9.3 is a Lenovo Thinkpad t430s (2013)
>
> Works:
> - wifi
> - i915 display
> - mini dispay port output
> - Hungarian keyboard
> - audio
> - webcam
> - USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports
> - card reader
>
> Works partially:
> - touchpad (no two finger gestures)
>
> Does not work:
> - display backlight. Workaround: set the brightness when starting up the
> laptop (BIOS handles).
>
> Generally a very good choice for a portable NetBSD workstation. The
> screen resolution and screen quality is a bit low end, though.
> Owerall performance is quite impressive, I suggest to install 16GB of
> RAM and SSD. Firefox startup time after coldstart is about 2-3 seconds.
> I use that to develop C++ applications using NetBeans IDE. The build
> time is acceptable as I can use 4 cores.

I'm not having a go at you, but I stated in my topic "not programmers
or sysads" and I practically got answers only from that category.

So, my impression is: if you're not either a programmer, a sysad or an
NetBSD official developer, stay away.

Yes, I know , there's a bit of unnecessary bitterness in my statement
but please change my mind.

--
Ottavio Caruso