Re: Upgrading software with pkgsrc

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> writes:

> Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
>> I have just downloaded pkgsrc-2022Q3.   What is the *best way*  to upgrade
>> pkgs, along  with any sub-pkgs that required fixed/upgraded?
>
> Well those are words asking to pick a fight in Ye Olde BSD Saloon.

[snip]

[An even older Ye Olde BSD take, perhaps]

I don't ever do upgrades, the teeth are sharp on that alligator.

I build the packages I want from source and put them in a local repo
that can be accessed via http (that is, /usr/pkgsrc/packages is
accessible via http).  I then delete ALL packages on the target system
(literally pkg_delete everything) and use pkg_add to add the new ones
back from the local repo.  To help this I use a local meta package for
each system type that I have that does the work of building the packages
for that system type and can be used with pkg_add to add them all back
(set PKG_PATH to the URL of the local http repo).  Aside from not having
packages available for a bit, there has never any breakage, conflicts or
etc....  I have seen all manor of breakage, conflicts and etc.. using
any other technique including pkgin (although that one is better than
most).

Keep in mind that pkg_delete doesn't remove anything under /usr/pkg/etc
so the usual config files are left in place.

I think of this as the "Shoot them all and let God sort them out"
technique for package updates.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org