Re: Setting keyboard layout on xterm

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 12:06:27AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Wed, 29 Jun 2022 17:56:09 +0200
>     From:        Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>
>
>   | I don't know if the in-tree xterm supports unicode
>
> In systems that have it (HEAD does, I haven't checked earlier)
> uxterm does.
>
> uxterm is just "xterm -class UXTerm" under the hood, so yes, xterm

...and setting the class changes the set of fonts used.

By default, xterm looks at the locale to help.
The uxterm script enforces the locale setting,
but if the locale is set properly, it'll work well enough.

From man xterm

       locale (class Locale)
               Specifies how to use luit, an encoding converter between UTF-8
               and locale encodings.  The resource value (ignoring case) may
               be:
               medium
                   Xterm will follow users' LC_CTYPE locale only for UTF-8,
                   east Asian, and Thai locales, where the encodings were not
                   supported by conventional 8bit mode with changing fonts.
                   For other locales, xterm will use conventional 8bit mode.
               Any other value, e.g., “UTF-8” or “ISO8859-2”, is assumed to be
               an encoding name; luit will be invoked to support the encoding.
               The actual list of supported encodings depends on luit.  The
               default is “medium”.

> (or a recent enough xterm anyway) does support unicode, if started
> in the appropriate way.

...for more than twenty years

> For me, it has no trouble showing me CJK/cyrillic/... spam messages from
> nmh in an xterm.   Very decorative!

In a quick check, setting the "TrueType Fonts" (menu setting) would give
better coverage.

Referring to

https://character-table.netlify.app/turkish/

it seems that Turkish is scattered around on the Unicode map,
though, the bitmap font covers U+0000 to U+01ff well enough,
and the punctuation in U+2000 to U+20ff is covered.

> I haven't tried typing, with X, that usually requires an input method
> to be installed, and I haven't done that yet (on other systems I allow
> Thai input, which has worked fine ... my keyboards have all the symbols
> on the keycaps, in addition to ascii ... quite crowded keycaps!)

Compose sequences should work without an input method
(though finding documentation is harder).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey%invisible-island.net@localhost>
https://invisible-island.net