Re: Setting keyboard layout on xterm

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 06:21:46PM +0000, Riza Dindir wrote:
> I also changed the font for XTerm in the Xresources file, which uses
> iso8859-9, but that does not do anything. Although the font changes,
> the characters for that language can not be entered on xterm.
>
> Is there a way to do that?

You need to set the environment variable LC_CTYPE to e.g. de_DE.ISO8859-15
or de_DE.UTF-8 for german (the former giving you ISO 8859-15, the latter
UTF8 unicode encoding), or tr_TR.ISO8859-9 or tr_TR.UTF-8 for turkish.

You can see all available locales in /usr/share/locale/.

I don't know if the in-tree xterm supports unicode (I mostly use rxvt
or urxvt from pkgsrc instead), but nowadays most people would prefer
the UTF8 encoding. If you do not have legacy file names around, it doesn't
matter which you pick.

Martin