Re: how to turn off devices that monitor sensors

    Date:        Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:29:54 +0900
    From:        Henry <nbsd4ever%gmail.com@localhost>

  | Thank you for the ideas.  The manufacture date of this HP Pavillion
  | Notebook 15-au123d was 07/01/2017.  NetBSD is installed UEFI.

That should all be new enough that ACPI should work fine, and if the
other OS's (well windows) can shut down, then I'd assume that entering
S5 state should make that happen for NetBSD as well.

What other hardware exists in that system?

Does reboot (or shutdown -r) work correctly?

  | I tried `boot -2' but the startup stopped at the following.  I don't
  | know how to proceed.
  | boot device: <unknown>
  | root device:

At that point you should be able to type ? and get a list
of possible root device values, pick the right one, and type it.

But it is possible that without ACPI the disk isn't being seen by
NetBSD at all, and there will be nothing appropriate in that list.

This is about as far as I can take it, I don't know the x86 architecture
or the MD x86 code nearly well enough to suggest anything else that you
can try.

kre