Re: how to turn off devices that monitor sensors

    Date:        Sun, 12 Jun 2022 18:18:26 +0900
    From:        Henry <nbsd4ever%gmail.com@localhost>

  | The machine freezes with the last messages to the console:
  | acpi0: entering state S5

S5 is "off" (more or less), the system should be doing nothing except
waiting for someone (or something) to request that it be turned on again.

It looks as if your system is one of those which NetBSD doesn't know how
to really shut down, or the BIOS has bugs which are preventing that from
happening.   Do you have any "Wake on" type events configured in the BIOS?
If so, you might want to try disabling those and see if that might make
a difference - the BIOS might be keeping the system more alive that you
want so that wake on lan, or wake on usb keyboard, or something can work.

  | acpitz0: workqueue busy: updates stopped
  | coretemp0: workqueue busy: updates stopped
  | coretemp1: workqueue busy: updates stopped

As Martin said, that's just noise, because the BIOS hasn't reset enough to
stop that stuff from interrupting, and is apparently keeping enough power
enabled to the ram (or at least caches) that enough of NetBSD is still
around to report that stuff, I agree with Martin, those are almost certainly
not related to your issue (they're a symptom caused by it, not causing it).
[I also would agree that there's potentially a driver bug, once the system
is off (or supposed to be off) nothing should be being processed at all.]

kre

ps: this might, or might not, make it direct from me to gmail, so I hope
you're subscribed to netbsd-users so you can get the reply that way.  gmail
doesn't like me, and tends to bounce mail I send.