Re: Configuring wsfb using xorg.conf

Hello RVP,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 7:46 AM RVP <rvp%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021, Riza Dindir wrote:
>
> > Would that mean that I have to add the font (FONT_SPLEEN12x24) to the
> > /usr/share/wscons/fonts directory and be able to use these fonts? No
> > need to compile a kernel with that font (since I am using 9.2 stable)?
> >

> Most of the fonts that can be compiled into the kernel are in the form of
> header files in /usr/src/sys/dev/wsfont/, so you can't try 'em out using
> wsfontload. To see what they look like, you have to convert them back
> into WSFont files. I hacked something to do just that some time back:
>
> https://www.unitedbsd.com/d/311-wsfont-changing-the-default-netbsd-console-font
>
> But, if you want the same font to be used from boot to login, then you
> have to choose _one_ font then compile that into the kernel.

It is not so important for me, after thinking about it, to have the
same font  throughout the entire boot process. I can live with the
font changes during the booting process. Not a big deal.

But is it possible to download other fonts from somewhere? I could put
these into the /usr/share/wscons/fonts directory and could have a
console that has smaller fonts at the end of the boot process.
Currently I am using the ibm 8x16 bit font, which is better when
compared to the font that was used. I think it was a 16x32 font on a
resolution of 85x24 console resolution.

Would it be possible to use the spleen* fonts from within wscons? I
think that would be possible.

> > I have uncommented the font ibm at the start of wscons.conf and set
> > the vars for ttyE* to the ibm font. But it is saying Device not
> > configured
> >
> > ttyE1: wsconscfg: /dev/ttyE1: DEvice not configured
> >
> > and I did remove the setvars (commenting these out again) and it showed.
> >
> > wsconscfg WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Device not configured
> >

> This is explained in Chapter 8 of the Guide:
>
> https://netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-cons.html
>
> You have to enable the tty lines for ttyE{1,2,3...}:
>
> $ cat /etc/ttys
> console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   off secure
> constty "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   off secure
> ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         wsvt25  on secure
> ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         wsvt25  on secure
> ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         wsvt25  on secure
> ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         wsvt25  on secure
> $

Yes I have these enabled. And I got the fonts to work. Am using the
ibm 8x16 bit fonts.

> -RVP

Riza