Re: Configuring wsfb using xorg.conf

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021, Riza Dindir wrote:

Would that mean that I have to add the font (FONT_SPLEEN12x24) to the
/usr/share/wscons/fonts directory and be able to use these fonts? No
need to compile a kernel with that font (since I am using 9.2 stable)?

Most of the fonts that can be compiled into the kernel are in the form of
header files in /usr/src/sys/dev/wsfont/, so you can't try 'em out using
wsfontload. To see what they look like, you have to convert them back
into WSFont files. I hacked something to do just that some time back:

https://www.unitedbsd.com/d/311-wsfont-changing-the-default-netbsd-console-font

But, if you want the same font to be used from boot to login, then you
have to choose _one_ font then compile that into the kernel.

I have uncommented the font ibm at the start of wscons.conf and set
the vars for ttyE* to the ibm font. But it is saying Device not
configured

ttyE1: wsconscfg: /dev/ttyE1: DEvice not configured

and I did remove the setvars (commenting these out again) and it showed.

wsconscfg WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Device not configured

This is explained in Chapter 8 of the Guide:

https://netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-cons.html

You have to enable the tty lines for ttyE{1,2,3...}:

$ cat /etc/ttys
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   off secure
constty "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   off secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         wsvt25  on secure
ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         wsvt25  on secure
ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         wsvt25  on secure
ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         wsvt25  on secure
$

-RVP