Re: Configuring wsfb using xorg.conf

Hello,

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 7:08 AM RVP <rvp%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2021, Riza Dindir wrote:
>
> > When starting up, as soon as it sees the gop (my resolution is
> > 1366x768), it switches the resolution. The text output is small. This
> > is all good, although the font is small, but ok. Then changes to 80x24
> > resolution (in rows/cols). It does that as soon as it gets to load
> > genfb in the diagnostics messages. The consoles stay that way.
> >
> > Although this is ok (80x24 row/cols), meaning it is not good looking,
> > but can live with that. But I wanted to change that so that it stays
> > the same. Looked at the wscons.conf, but it gave an warning that the
> > consoles did not get configured or something.
> >

> If you want to keep the same font from boot to login, then that's
> easy: just compile _only_ that font into the kernel. For example, I
> have:
>
> $ fgrep FONT_ /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/conf/MYKERNEL
> #options        FONT_BOLD8x16
> #options        FONT_BOLD16x32
> options         FONT_SPLEEN12x24
> $

What are the default fonts in the kernel. 8x16, and 16x32?

> and I get the Spleen 12x24 font without any screen clearing even
> when genfb hands off to intelfb. But, this requires both genfb
> and intelfb to use the same resolution (easily done with `gop 0').
> With the font you want already compiled in, there's also no need to
> mess around with /etc/wscons.conf.

Yes I tried that, but was not able to change the font for some reason.
I must be missing something. I will look at that again.

But still as soon as it gets to the genfb device, the terminal becomes
80x24 and the font is big. But I started to like that font. Maybe I
will compile the font into the kernel, in the coming days.

> That Spleen 12x24 font is only built-in in the -HEAD kernel, but,
> you can add any other font you want fairly easily:
>
> https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2015/01/19/msg015669.html
>
> -RVP

Riza