Re: Regarding the boot process.

Riza Dindir <riza.dindir%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

>> I wonder if something in your boot.cfg is fixed to the disk number of
>> the HD when you did the install.  I suggest checking what is in the boot
>> options file /efi/netBSD/boot.cfg in the EFI partition.
>
> I did not check if there was a boot.cfg on the EFI partition. But i
> have a boot.cfg in my root partition, that disables my radeon graphics
> card, which did not have a driver (Radeon R7 m265), and have disabled
> acpibat also in the boot. But will check if it has any references to
> HDD numbers.

The man page implies that UEFI boot reads /efi/netBSD/boot.cfg (odd
capitalization verbatim from man page) and that it does not read
/boot.cfg, but I am not confident about the man page.

>> WHen you say you can boot from USB3, is that with or without the system
>> disk in the main HD slot?   Just telling the bios to boot from the first
>> USB disK?
>
> Yes. The original win10 disk in the main HDD slot, and that boots
> fine. I am able to use the system, the X server and a window manager
> too.

If that's UEFI boot too, then that's interesting, but I wonder if it's
doing the older style and your system has /boot as well as efiboot.

Read boot(8) very carefully and slowly, probably more than once, and try
to look into everything it talks about.

My guess is that things are close to working, and there might be a bug
in your computers UEFI code.

It might be that explicitly forcing booting from wd1 would help.
You could do that ia a menu so that you can also boot when it is the 1st
(0) HD.