Re: Regarding the boot process.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 8:35 PM Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Riza Dindir <riza.dindir%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > I created the NetBSD disk from a CD/DVD. I am using NetBSD 9.2/amd64
> > and used the corresponding CD ISO. I had the disk in the caddy when
> > installing, and booted the CD from a USB enclosure, where i installed
> > my DVD. The installation went fine. But i could not boot the system,
> > so i used a USB3 enclosure that i had lying around at home. Currently
> > i am using the system using a USB3 enclosure for now. But trying to
> > make the HDD caddy work.
>
> I hope we will hear from someone who is more familiar with UEFI booting.
>
> As I read the boot(8) man page, efiboot is like /boot and there are no
> steps like the MBR boot blocks and bootxx_ffsv1.  With boot, one can
> usually hit space to interrupt during a wait and then list devices/etc.
> I would expect the same from efiboot but I don't actually know.
>
> I wonder if something in your boot.cfg is fixed to the disk number of
> the HD when you did the install.  I suggest checking what is in the boot
> options file /efi/netBSD/boot.cfg in the EFI partition.

I did not check if there was a boot.cfg on the EFI partition. But i
have a boot.cfg in my root partition, that disables my radeon graphics
card, which did not have a driver (Radeon R7 m265), and have disabled
acpibat also in the boot. But will check if it has any references to
HDD numbers.

> WHen you say you can boot from USB3, is that with or without the system
> disk in the main HD slot?   Just telling the bios to boot from the first
> USB disK?

Yes. The original win10 disk in the main HDD slot, and that boots
fine. I am able to use the system, the X server and a window manager
too.