Re: mpv and estd and --vo=xv

On Wed 14 Jul 2021 at 21:38:51 +0000, RVP wrote:
> 5. Make sure `hwdec=auto' is set in ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf, and
>    estd is turned off.

On my machine with Radeon card, I think this was the essential step that
made it work for me. I got "Using hardware decoding (vaapi-copy)." when
combined with --vo=xv and "Using hardware decoding (vaapi)." when
combined with --vo=gpu.

It may have helped that I build my packages with MesaLib, libdrm, glu,
glew, and gle all from pkgsrc. It used to be necessary some time in the
past and I never checked if I could switch back.

> If HW video decoding is being done (this depends on the stream
> and the decoding capabilities of your CPU/GPU), then mpv will
> print something like:

it took me a while before I found a file where it worked; all too often
it didn't work because of something like "[ffmpeg/video] hevc: No
support for codec hevc profile 2."

> -RVP
-Olaf.
--
___ "Buying carbon credits is a bit like a serial killer paying someone else to
\X/  have kids to make his activity cost neutral." -The BOFH    falu.nl@rhialto