Re: mpv and estd and --vo=xv

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021, Mike Pumford wrote:

Ah thats good info that I DIDN'T know. Sadly all my BSD hardware is from the generations before the full 'auto adjust' was added. I think that's intel core gen 6 and mine is gen5. So in my case I really do need estd :(

On older hardware the xxx1 frequency in my hardware enables the turbo boost clocks which overclocks cores beyond the max. 4GHz to 4.4GHz in my case I think. I didn't realise that had been repurposed in newer cores to be (let the CPU adjust across all speeds) I sort of assumed that would be reported differently.

I do know that estd makes a significant different to temperature and power consumption when my system is idle vs when its busy.

Turbo Boost should do frequency scaling, I think (if 1-ending CPU MHz =
Turbo Boost):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

    When the processor is operating below these limits and the user's
    workload demands additional performance, the processor frequency will
    dynamically increase until the upper limit of frequency is reached.

But, Turbo Boot may not be available on all Intel processors. Mine does
not have it:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/65697/intel-core-i3-3217u-processor-3m-cache-1-80-ghz.html

It has Enhanced SpeedStep though. So it looks like I have to
re-enable estd--except that the latest estd detects my Intel CPU
as a (ARM?) Rockchip:

---
$ estd -f
Supported frequencies (Rockchip Mode):
Domain 0: cpu0 cpu1 cpu2 cpu3
800 MHz
900 MHz
1000 MHz
1100 MHz
1200 MHz
1300 MHz
1400 MHz
1500 MHz
1600 MHz
1700 MHz
1800 MHz
1801 MHz
# estd -b -C -E
estd: Cannot get supported frequencies (maybe you forced the wrong CPU-scaling technology?)
#
---

Works if you don't force -E. (Presumably by first turning my Intel
into an ARM Rockchip, then enabling "Rockchip" frequency scaling.
Wonders never cease...)

-RVP