Re: Checking out src with Mercurial

On 2020-06-19 17:52, Sad Clouds wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 09:31:00 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

On 2020-06-19 13:45, Matthias Petermann wrote:
[---] Or maybe one day a BSD-licensed Mercurial
"light" as a re-implementation in Golang will exist.

    There's work being done on oxidizing parts of Mercurial.  As far
as I have gathered, the plan is to keep the python implementations
as well, but if the user chooses to they can build certain parts in
Rust to get a less resource demanding implementation.

(I know you are the messenger here so not directed at you.)

The idea of having to build rust to get a "less resource demanding
implementation" would be great comedy if it weren't such a serious
problem.

The Mercurial developers have an opinion that it is very difficult to
develop and maintain reliable software in C. So the search goes on for
the silver bullet - Python, Rust, Go, etc.

And yet, operating systems are written in C, and not Python, Rust, Go or anything like it...

And there are way more problems with that software written in Python, Rust, Go, and so on... So maybe it's not a problem with the language at all, but with the people. Just thinking out loud... :-)

  Johnny