Re: HP ProLiant server running NetBSD 9 setup suggestions?

On Tue, 26 May 2020 at 11:55, Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2020 11:03:41 +0100
> David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> > If you do find fans spinning more than you like it may be worth
> > replacing it/them with quieter/more efficient models - I did this for
> > the main case fan on a Dell T320 and now have it running with a 16
> > core E5-2450L and 8 SATA drives without any noticeable noise under
> > normal conditions
> >
> > David
>
> I'm not sure it's as simple as that. With 1U and 2U server cases there
> isn't much room for larger fans, so to keep the system cool those tiny
> fans have to spin much much faster, creating a lot of noise.

Oh, undoubtedly - 1U cases are horribly constrained when it comes to
fan sizes, but even for 1U there will be options which could
significantly reduce fan noise, if just not down to the levels of
larger cases - eg https://www.quietpc.com/40mmfans

David