Re: HP ProLiant server running NetBSD 9 setup suggestions?

On May 20, 2020, at 1:08 AM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 12:49 AM Chris Hanson
> <cmhanson%eschatologist.net@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> And, perhaps most importantly, is there anything I should install, configure, or tune to keep the fans nice and quiet? Booting the NetBSD 9.0 installer from a USB key, the system was plenty quiet, but I know those fans can move a lot of air if they have to.
>>

> I have one myself in the basement. It is a nice machine.
>
> You should install the BIOS updates if you have access to them. The HP
> Proliants are a ransomware platform, you you may not have access t
> them.

In fact the BIOS, iLO, etc. updates are on the HPE web site, which is something I verified before purchasing. (Which I’d encourage everyone to do if they’re going to do something like this, of course.)

The only update I can’t find is an *offline* update for the P420i storage controller firmware; mine is at version 8.00 and the latest is 8.32(C) and the only updaters are “online” updates for Windows, Windows x64, and VMware ESXi. In the worst case, I have to install one of those, do the firmware update, and then install NetBSD.

  -- Chris