Re: HP ProLiant server running NetBSD 9 setup suggestions?

On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 22:07, Chris Hanson <cmhanson%eschatologist.net@localhost> wrote:

> One of the drives failed and I’d set the drives up as a single volume, oops.
>
> I brought up Windows temporarily to do the one firmware update I didn’t seem to be able to do any other way (the storage controller) and then reinstalled NetBSD.
>
> Now that I’ve reinstalled, have a dmesg: https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5512
>
> There’s going to be one more reinstall in my future, once my LFF drive cage arrives and I set up large 3.5in SATA disks.
>
> My experience so far is that putting in a random disk that I had laying around causes the fans to spin up to 70some percent for a period of time, and then the system appears to adapt to the drive and get quiet again--right now it’s barely noticeable. We’ll see what happens when I build LLVM...

If you do find fans spinning more than you like it may be worth
replacing it/them with quieter/more efficient models - I did this for
the main case fan on a Dell T320 and now have it running with a 16
core E5-2450L and 8 SATA drives without any noticeable noise under
normal conditions

David