Re: library cleanup after a system upgrade

On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 12:39:53AM +0200, Timo Buhrmester wrote:
> > What happens to the "old libraries" ? I think they are left in so
> > binaries continue to run.
> > Just the new ones are symlinked to current.
>
> Some get removed with postinstall obsolete, some don't.

There are multiple cases and they are treated differently:

 1) there were neither major nor minor version changes between the releases
	-> the library is overwritten with the new version during the update
 2) the major version was bumped
	-> new version is installed, old version stays around as 3rd party
	   software in your installation could still refer to it.
	   There are scripts for finding all references and actually
	   obsolete libs, but this is typically a later (and partly
	   manual) step after you have updated all pkgs too.
 3) the minor version was bumped
	-> symlinks are fixed to point at the newer version, older
	   version is removed by postinstall

Martin